An emotional ceremony took place on Saturday 16th July 2016 at Little Stoke Cricket Club to name the Upper Cricket ground in honour of their long standing President, who sadly passed away earlier this year.
“The Rod Tobias Ground” was unveiled by his wife Jennifer and his daughter Julie, who had flown in from America for the occasion.
Club Secretary and long standing friend, Clive Finney, addressed the large gathering, reminding members and friends that Rod had joined the club in 1953 and quickly established himself in the second team where he played the majority of his cricket until his retirement in 1981. During that time he became the first player at the club to take all 10 wickets in an innings against Coseley in 1957 and he captained the second team for 10 seasons.
After joining the committee in the mid-fifties, Rod subsequently took on the roles of Vice Chairman, Chairman, Trustee and finally President of the Club, becoming a life member in 1994. Rod was instrumental in driving the club forward to acquire additional ground upon which now stands Little Stoke’s second pitch, pavilion and bowling green. He was also a strong advocate in upholding the club motto “non progredi est regedi” – “not to advance is to go back”. So it is fitting that the advancements he made were honoured with this tribute on Vice President’s day at the club.