Match Report: Eccleshall Reserves Vs. Stone Dominoes

Eccleshall Reserves 1 Stone Dominoes 6

SCSL Challenge Cup

Saturday 9th September 2017

A Chris Nellis hat-trick helped Stone Dominoes progress to the next round of the Challenge Cup after a splendid second half performance at Pershall Park.

Dominoes had fallen behind to a Lenny Baker goal 10 minutes before the break but Nellis headed them level within a minute. Two Ash Thompson goals within 5 minutes either side of the hour mark put the away side in charge before Nellis struck twice to complete his treble and Mitch Armstrong added a sixth late on. The home side had chance to take the lead after just a minute on the clock when Craig Bould swivelled inside the area but he could only shoot straight at Adam Jonhson.

Lee Foyle squandered a good opportunity for the visitors to open the scoring midway through the half but he could only find the arms of Paul Buren from 8 yards out. Eccleshall took the lead in the 35th minute as Baker latched onto a short Marcus Thorp backpass before rounding Johnson and sliding the ball into the empty net. Dominoes responded immediately however, forcing a corner which Thompson delivered for Nellis to head home at the near post.

Thompson put the away side ahead for the first time in the game in the 57th minute when Jordan Condliffe lifted the ball over the top of the Eccleshall defence for him to race through and fire past Buren at the near post. Johnson kept his side in front 2 minutes later when he reacted quickly to deny Alistair White from point blank range. Thompson added his second in fine fashion in the 62nd minute when he brought down a high ball over the top from Thorp before driving a half volley inside the near post once again.

Substitute Jules Paterson had chance to increase the lead a minute later but he shot straight at Buren when bearing down on goal. Nellis added his second in near identical fashion to his first in the 65th minute as he met a Thompson corner to power a header into the net. Nick Glover sent Nellis through on goal 5 minutes later for a chance to complete his hat-trick and he duly obliged, superbly lifting the ball over Buren with a deft chip into the net.

Thompson’s afternoon ended on a low point 10 minutes from time when he reacted badly to a late challenge from White and was shown a straight red card for throwing his head into the Eccleshall captain’s chest. Despite the numerical disadvantage it was Dominoes who found the net again when Glover exchanged passes with Lee Foyle in the penalty area before squaring the ball for Mitch Armstrong to tap into an empty net.

The hosts were intent on restoring some late pride but a combination of Johnson and Armstrong cleared the ball off the line 3 minutes from time following a scramble in the area. Dominoes return to league action on Saturday when they travel to take on Cheadle Town in a 2.30pm kick off.

Stone Dominoes: Johnson, Bromley (Catalano 73), Thorp, Armstrong, Parkes, Glover, Foyle, Nellis, Thompson (sent off 80), Broomhall (Paterson 62), Condliffe; Subs not used: Middleton

Goals: Baker 35 (Eccleshall); Nellis 36, 65, 70, Thompson 57, 62, Armstrong 82 (Stone Dominoes)

Referee: C.Birchall


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles