Home > History (page 2)

History

Stone Historical Society’s 2013/14 programme

Stone Historical and Civic Society’s 2013/14 programme gets under way this week after their summer break. Meetings are held monthly at St Michael’s Church Hall in Lichfield Street at 7.30pm. Admission to non-members is £2. There’s a varied programme of talks planned, including some on Stone during the First World War to mark the centenary of the start of the ...

Read More »

Manor Hill First School – from the archives

Manor Hill First School celebrated their diamond anniversary at the end of the summer term with an extra special leavers’ service. You can see Joshua Cope’s report and photographs HERE if you missed it. A Little Bit of Stone was given access to the school’s archives – an amazing collections of photos and documents spanning the last 60 years. There’s ...

Read More »

Manor Hill celebrates diamond anniversary

For the past year, pupils, staff and parents have been celebrating Manor Hill Primary School’s diamond anniversary – ending with a special leavers’ assembly last Friday (19th July). Led by the headteacher, Mrs. Gillman, the assembly recognised and celebrated the school’s 60 years of achievements and traditions developed by past heads Miss. Riley, Mr. Sutton, Mr. McKenzie and Mrs. Francis. ...

Read More »

Brewing heritage day at Lymestone

Bents Brewery delivery truck in Stone, 1930s. Photograph from the Staffordshire Past Track website. Click the photo for details

Lymestone Brewery are holding a Brewing Heritage Day at their Mount Road base to celebrate their fifth birthday in the town. The free event is being held on 31st August from 12.30pm to 4pm – the brewery’s fifth birthday – at their base on the Mount Road industrial estate, which used to house Bents Brewery. Brad and Viv from Lymestone want ...

Read More »

Remember The Picture House cinema?

Picture House programme outside

Huge thanks to Keith Hanmer for this brilliant slice of Stone’s history. It’s a programme from December 1938 for the Picture House cinema in Stone. Keith found it in his house and shared via the Little Bit of Stone Facebook page. According to the Cinema Treasures website, the Picture House opened in 1934 and operated from the old town hall ...

Read More »

Medieval seal returns for good

The 12th Century Seal Matrix of Stone Priory, which was bought for the town following an appeal last year, has been away in Wiltshire since January undergoing conservation work. And there’s a special talk later this month to mark its return. The matrix – which was found in a field in Surrey in 2011 –  is being returned to St. ...

Read More »

Heritage walk around Stone

A heritage walk takes place in Stone on Thursday 9th May as part of the 2013 Stafford Borough Walking Festival. Dr John Wilcock, a well-known lecturer in local history and archaeology, will lead a four-mile walk around the canal, railway, streets and buildings of Stone. The walk should take about two hours and there should be time for a visit ...

Read More »

History Monthly: Stone’s lost boozers

The Unicorn, The Blue Bell, The Castle, The Union… just some of Stone’s boozers that are no longer with us. Some are long gone while others, like The Vine and The Robin Hood, are more recent casualties. In this month’s History Monthly, Stone Historical Society chairman Philip Leason looks at the huge number of boozers that used to be in ...

Read More »

History Monthly: Stone street names part 4

Billy Wells was the heavyweight champion of Britain when he starred as a boxer in a silent movie that was filmed in Stone in 1916. This still is from a later film starring Wells, The Ring from 1926. Photo credit: British Film Institute (click photo for more information)

This month Philip Leason, chairman of Stone Historical Society, continues to look at Street names associated with people. Find out about President Kennedy’s visit to Stone (when he was a young Washington Post reporter), the filming of a silent movie in the town in 1916, the building of the market hall (now Stone library) and lots, lots more. Thanks Philip ...

Read More »

Stone from above in the 1920s

The High Street and town centre, Stone, 1929 http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw026981

There are some great aerial photographs of Stone from the 1920s on the Britain From Above website. The site – at www.britainfromabove.org.uk – is a four-year project aimed at conserving 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection dating from 1919 to 1953. The collection of photographs was created by Aerofilms Ltd, a pioneering air survey ...

Read More »