Home > History (page 5)

History

Brewing heritage day at Lymestone

Lymestone Brewery are holding a Brewing Heritage Day at their Mount Road base to celebrate their fifth birthday in the town. The free event is being held on 31st August from 12.30pm to 4pm – the brewery’s fifth birthday – at their base on the Mount Road industrial estate, which used to house Bents Brewery. Brad and Viv from Lymestone want ...

Read More »

Remember The Picture House cinema?

Huge thanks to Keith Hanmer for this brilliant slice of Stone’s history. It’s a programme from December 1938 for the Picture House cinema in Stone. Keith found it in his house and shared via the Little Bit of Stone Facebook page. According to the Cinema Treasures website, the Picture House opened in 1934 and operated from the old town hall ...

Read More »

Medieval seal returns for good

The 12th Century Seal Matrix of Stone Priory, which was bought for the town following an appeal last year, has been away in Wiltshire since January undergoing conservation work. And there’s a special talk later this month to mark its return. The matrix – which was found in a field in Surrey in 2011 –  is being returned to St. ...

Read More »

Heritage walk around Stone

A heritage walk takes place in Stone on Thursday 9th May as part of the 2013 Stafford Borough Walking Festival. Dr John Wilcock, a well-known lecturer in local history and archaeology, will lead a four-mile walk around the canal, railway, streets and buildings of Stone. The walk should take about two hours and there should be time for a visit ...

Read More »

History Monthly: Stone’s lost boozers

The Unicorn, The Blue Bell, The Castle, The Union… just some of Stone’s boozers that are no longer with us. Some are long gone while others, like The Vine and The Robin Hood, are more recent casualties. In this month’s History Monthly, Stone Historical Society chairman Philip Leason looks at the huge number of boozers that used to be in ...

Read More »

History Monthly: Stone street names part 4

This month Philip Leason, chairman of Stone Historical Society, continues to look at Street names associated with people. Find out about President Kennedy’s visit to Stone (when he was a young Washington Post reporter), the filming of a silent movie in the town in 1916, the building of the market hall (now Stone library) and lots, lots more. Thanks Philip ...

Read More »

Stone from above in the 1920s

There are some great aerial photographs of Stone from the 1920s on the Britain From Above website. The site – at www.britainfromabove.org.uk – is a four-year project aimed at conserving 95,000 of the oldest and most valuable photographs in the Aerofilms collection dating from 1919 to 1953. The collection of photographs was created by Aerofilms Ltd, a pioneering air survey ...

Read More »

History Monthly: Stone street names – Part 3

This month Philip Leason, the chairman of Stone Historical Society, continue to look at the origins street names in Stone, predominantly those named after people GRANVILLE TERRACE/GRANVILLE SQUARE are named after the Victorian statesman Granville George Leveson-Gower, the 2nd Earl Granville (1815-1891). The Earl’s original title was “Viscount Granville of Stone Park in the county of Stafford” but he received ...

Read More »

History Monthly Extra: Adie’s Alley

Hope you’ve been enjoying Philip Leason’s excellent series on the meaning and history of Stone’s street names. We set a bit of a teaser in Part 1 – from where does Adie’s Alley get its name? Philip – the chairman of Stone Historical Society – explains all… Adie’s Alley gets it name from the shop of Thomas G. Adie & ...

Read More »

History Monthly: Stone street names – Part 2

Here’s the second of Stone Historical Society chairman Philip Leason’s posts on the history and meaning behind many of the town’s street names. If you missed the first one in January, have a look HERE. It’s fascinating stuff – and this month’s is even better, including how Hovis has its origins in Stone! If you missed Part 1, by the ...

Read More »
Loading...