Market Drayton will play host to a brand new food and drink festival celebrating the culinary, heritage and historical links of spices, food and gingerbread.
The brand new Festival, taking place from Wednesday 27th September to Saturday 30th September 2017 has been backed by the Market Drayton Town Council. It has been sponsored by local businesses such as Image on Food, Billington’s Gingerbread, Clive & Coffyne Pub and RockIT Events, and will take place over four days.
As well as attracting new visitors to the town, the festival aims to encourage locals to re-connect with the town’s food heritage and history. It is also hoped that passing canal traffic will attend the festival. It is hoped it will become an annual event which will boost visitors to the town and generate more business for locals shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs.
Festival organiser, Julia Roberts of RockIT events, said; ‘We are pleased to now be able to announce our festival line-up, which includes some exciting and novel foodie experiences such as a pop-up restaurant and wild foraging walk with local ‘Wild Shropshire’ chef James Sherwin. We are also delighted to be featuring comedian cook ‘George Egg’, who we hope will set the tone for the festival with his hilarious and imaginative stand-up sell-out show ‘DIY Cook’. Also we are hosting a spice trail around the town which give families an opportunity to adventure and explore into the town’s culinary heritage. We are delighted to have received backing from the Market Drayton Town Council for this festival, along with sponsorship from some very well respected local businesses such as Billington’s Gingerbread and Image on Food. The Clive and Coffyne Pub is also a main sponsor for the event and will be hosting satellite events at the pub and beer garden throughout the weekend.’
This first G&S Festival includes the following line up:-
Wednesday 27th September, 7.30pm
Clive’s Pop-up Supper Club. Venue: St Mary’s Street. Ticketed. See website.
Thursday 28th September, 7.30pm
Comedian Cook, George Egg. Venue: Festival Drayton. Ticketed. See website.
Friday 29th September, 7.30pm.
Shropshire’s Wild Dining Pop-up with James Sherwin at Oakley Hall, near Market Drayton. Ticketed. See website.
Saturday 30th September
- The Spice Exchange Street Market taking place under the Buttercross, on Market Street and the Clive and Coffyne Pub beer garden. Included will be stalls with spicy street food, jams, chutneys, meats, drinks and more. Also live music and activities for children such as face painting. Free of Charge, 10am to 4.30pm.
- Wild Foraging Walk around the town with local Shropshire chef, James Sherwin. 12.30pm to 1.30pm. Ticketed. See website.
- Billington’s Gingerbread Baking Contest, 11.30am to 12.30pm at Festival Drayton Centre. FOC but must enter beforehand via the website.
- Chilli Ceramica, an exhibition of ceramic chillies. 11am to 4pm at the Festival Drayton Centre. FOC.
- Chilli Talk with BBC Radio Gardening Expert, Zdenek Valkoun-Walker. Festival Drayton. 2.30pm to 3.30pm. Ticketed. See website.
From Wednesday 27th to Saturday 30th September
- Window Dressing Contest (judged Friday 29th September). Cash prize of at least £250.00.
- Spice Trail. Trail leaflets will be available from participating venues, shops and restaurants. Prize draw.
For all ticketed events, please go to the website: www.gingerandspicefest.co.uk and go to the events page.
All satellite events and booking information is listed on the website under events: www.gingerandspicefest.co.uk.
Festival organisers still have spaces for stalls and sponsorship opportunities. For more information, please contact 07989 980016 or email email@example.com.