Stone GP Cumberland House is currently in talks with NHS England and Stafford and Surrounds Clinical Commissioning Group (S&SCCG) to move the Barlaston Health Centre services to the Stone site.
If approved, the Barlaston site will be taken over by Trentham based Brinsley Avenue Practice from 6th August 2018. Patients of the current practice will automatically be moved to Cumberland House in Stone unless they register with another practice,
The Brinsley Avenue Practice will not be able to take new patients until after they take possession of the premises on August 6th.
In a letter to Barlaston patients dated 8th June 2018, the practice gives the following reasons for deciding to consolidate services:
- Economies of scale with regards to new models of primary care that are being introduced nationally, incorporating roles such as, advanced nurse practitioners, wellbeing workers, and practice pharmacists. It is not possible to offer these same options over two sites.
- Greater continuity of care to patients by the same staff consistently on one site.
- Shortage of doctors and nurses despite numerous recruitment attempts. This is a local and national problem as total GP numbers continue to fall in the UK.
- Dangers to lone workers, in particular receptionists at the branch surgery. A number of recent incidents at Barlaston Health Centre have highlighted these risks.
- Less fragmentation of services.
- The current opportunity of an incoming GP practice subject to NHS England and CCG approval.
There will be continuity of service until 6 August 2018 at Barlaston, following which patient services will be permanently moved to Cumberland House, Stone, unless patients choose otherwise.
For more information, contact either the Cumberland House Surgery, or Barlaston Health Centre.