The closure of a main road across the M6 near Stone will be delayed until September following talks by the county council and Highways England.
This will allow essential maintenance of nearby Meece Road to go ahead over the coming weeks and enable people and businesses to travel with less disruption.
We’d reported on Monday how some residents were facing a 15-mile diversion on their usual two-mile journey to Stone because of the two sets of roadworks. On Tuesday evening, Stone MP Bill Cash called for one of them to be delayed.
Work on the M6 overbridge, which carries the B5026, had been due to begin next week. Highways England contractor Kier has now agreed to delay this work until September.
The county council’s highways leader said today that having both sets of roadworks at the same time was “unworkable and unacceptable”.
A maintenance project on the nearby Meece Road starts on Monday 20th June as planned and is due to finish on 19th August.
The county council says road closures are needed in order for both projects to be carried out safely. Meece Road connects Norton Bridge with Cold Meece.
“With the Meece Road scheme out of the way, people will be able to use this route to travel to and from Stone when the M6 bridge works start. While this will present some inconvenience, we hope this is better news for communities affected. We’d like to thank them in advance for their patience. We’re still talking to Highways England about the detail of the bridge works and we’re grateful to them for delaying the project. We’d like to assure people they will receive update from us as soon as possible.”